[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Tue Aug 8 14:12:22 PDT 2006

I'm about 95% with Doug on this thread, but the trends in cancer incidence from 1975-2003 are more complex. Age-adjusted incidence rates climbed from 1975-1992, and have decreased since. Age-adjusted incidence rates are still higher today than they were in 1975. See <http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2003/results_merged/ topic_annualrates.pdf>

We'd need much longer-term data to find out if there's a general correlation between cancer incidence and industrialization. And of course attributing causation would be one big can o' worms. Does anyone know the literature in this field (data-driven, not just conjecture or polemic)?