[lbo-talk] Re: HRW on same-sexers in Iran

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 9 13:33:07 PDT 2006

Dear List:

Aaron writes:

> I agree with you that this is bad. The rest of
your post seems like an overreaction to me.

One person's overrreaction is another's demure response.

But the problem with Auntie Scott's approach is that it re-closets queers. Instead of gay rights, there are privacy rights. Now, if leftists were advocating the abandonment of support for rights based on any and all identities, e.g., gender, race, ethnicity, disability, class, etc, I would not object so much. But it is the singling out of this particular identity that bothers me.

As I posted the other day, I think much of this debate stems from the fact that some leftists are willing to sacrifice queers so that that they can remain cozy with other progressives who are anti-queer.

> Do you know about the queer call to boycott
World Pride Day in Israel?

Yes. I think the whole idea is dumb. If there is going to be a World Pride Day it should be held in a country with same-sex marriage rights. Admittedly, that means queers would be limited to choosing Canada, Spain, or the Netherlands, but those are nice places.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister