[lbo-talk] WP reporter: Israel deliberately not destroying launchers

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 13:44:27 PDT 2006

Of course, the dust-up's general outline is familiar territory.

What most interests me however is the story's subtext: Israel is completely in command.

As the apologist noise machine spins into "how dare he!" hysterics there's the underlying assumption the tale is technically plausible (because, we're implicitly encouraged to believe, who would doubt the incredible IDF can locate and precisely destroy each and every missile?) but *morally* implausible.

There've been a lot of these kind of oddly structured face saving scenarios tossed about during the conflict. A week or so ago, I read a commentary (published in the Asia Times as I remember) in which some 'analyst' spun the tale that the apparent confusion and dismay in Olmert's government was all part of an elaborately clever ruse designed to embolden Hezbollah (and Iran) into taking tactically unwise steps.

Occam's razor comes to mind: sometimes a fucked up situation is exactly what it appears to be.

Although I'm willing to believe some launchers might have been overlooked for the reasons the 'analysts' assert, in many (perhaps most) cases, the Israelis probably just don't have a firm idea of where they are from moment to moment.

.d.

The most important isotope of plutonium is 239Pu, with a half-life of 24,110 years.

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/