[lbo-talk] Identity Politics, Single Issues, and Solidarity

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:45:02 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> > But most posit the existence of a creator god which I think leads to
> > so many of the problemn with their adherents.

I don't like _any_ religion, but there can't be any forward motion in most nations that do not involve huge numbers of "the faithful." And in any case, the usual route for many away from religion is to _first_ become involved in creative struggle, with the result that religion begins to lose some of its grip.

> Religions of the Book, if interpreted most imaginatively in a way that
> is in keeping with modernity, aren't necessarily a problem -- they can
> be a source of strength in a trying time. Creative interpretation is
> what most faithful of any religion on the Left (or Right or Center for
> that matter) actually do.

Indeed. Four hundred and 50 years ago John Milton was able creatively to discover that the prohibition of divorce in the New Testament was actually an approval of divorce. With agitation to _begin_ with shared agreement and work from there.

Carrol