[lbo-talk] Re: Boycott Japan and China

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:56:29 PDT 2006

> On Aug 8, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > On 8/6/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> >> I see the lead story in the weekend Counterpunch <http://
> >> www.counterpunch.org> is a polemic in favor of a boycott of Israel,
> >> written by an American academic living in S Africa, Virginia Tilley.
> >> Isn't it odd for an American to call for such, given our support of
> >> Israel? Should we boycott ourselves? How?
> >
> > Boycott Japan and China, the financiers of the multinational empire.
>
> You'd have to go live in a hut without water or electricity to do that.
>
> Doug

That's the reason why people boycotted South Africa but not the USA, and that's also the reason why people are organizing boycott and divestment campaigns about Israel but not the USA. It's not hypocrisy (as you imply with regard to Virginia Tilley) but practicality that has dictated those choices.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>