[lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 10 06:27:20 PDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:24 PM, ravi wrote:

> Doug, this is getting tiresome for me, and perhaps for you too. The
> title of the article you forwarded was: "No Alternative".

Authors don't write their own headlines - editors do, and they often follow the cardinal rule of journalism, simplify & exaggerate.

> Just the first paragraph with terms like
> "objective" and "We are now learning" [what happens to these claims]
> provides enough room for dispute.

Not that much, in my view. When things are subject to experimentation, we learn stuff.

> But another point: Doug, I think (and correct me) you do indeed heap
> dismissive ridicule on such alternatives. Hence your use of "hippie"
> which you, I think, consider a bad word, etc. No?

Yeah, I don't use hippie as a term of endearment, but I was also simplifying & exaggerating. As I've said many times, I don't doubt that there are many valuable things in the "alternative" armamentarium, but they have to be evaluated by independent testing. Quacks like Gary Null - who's hardly marginal in the alterna-world - rely largely on self-validating testimony by practitioners.

Doug