[lbo-talk] Boycott Japan and China

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Aug 10 09:29:58 PDT 2006

AN wrote:

> Many of my
> friends in the States express the same hopes, that
> somehow Europe is more peaceful, more social
> democratic alternative to America. But it's pure
> fantasy.

No fantasy here, just hard-headed realism. The EU is a complex beast -- part neolib, part social democratic, and parts-yet-to-be-invented. I'm no fan of Eurocapitalism, but I have great admiration for the unions, civic orgs and Left parties of Europe. Many parts of the acquis communautaire are essential components of a civilized society: universal health insurance, public education, universal pensions, four weeks of vacation for all, the right to unionize, etc.

> But the desire to see some sort of partner for
> emancipation in the European project is just wishful
> thinking.

It's extremely important for the Left to take the idea of multinational democracy seriously. That's a utopia worth fighting for.

-- DRR