[lbo-talk] Re: Identity Politics, Single Issues, and Solidarity (BklynMagus)

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:31:02 PDT 2006

Funny thing, my own introduction to organizing was the couple years I spent in ACT UP Philadelphia. And being a part of a social world of pretty remarkable people--- sharing meals, hanging out etc etc--- was part of the initial attraction for me. Thing is, in my life today, I would also find expectations to hang out with people just because I was in the same organization as them to be overbearing as well.

But in ACT UP Philly's case, there were varying levels of involvement. There was the intensely close core of full-timers who lived and worked together on AIDS issues all the time; the 'fellow travellers' who would come to meetings, take on tasks, or lend their energies to particular parts of the work; and then thousands of more general supporters from the queer community, drug-recovery programs, and HIV support networks, who would attend a march or a fundraising party and make them the huge successes they often were.

My own experiences with this mixture of mass marches of poor and queer people, disruptive and adventurous direct actions, and rigorously pragmatic lobbying and media work; and the tangible, life-saving results such good work could produce (slashed prices for life-saving medications here and in the global south; funding for programs; total backtracking by the right away from their early disgusted hate for HIV+ people to today's surprising amount of engagement with global AIDS by evangelical groups) motivated me to take organizing dead seriously, and not just as a pasttime or way to meet people.

So I'd argue for us NOT to "reconcile ourselves to the reality that since everything I work on may not come to fruition until long after my oblivion, I cannot pin my level of satisfaction on whether I see a practical difference occurring because of my work." If the left were less allergic to results, I believe the public at large would be less allergic to the left.

actup fight back! Jim