Military preparations to attack Iran. Re: [lbo-talk] Blumenthal: Iran is next

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 14:36:34 PDT 2006

On 8/10/06, Steve Palmer <spalmer999 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Specifically, the Monterey Defense Language (www.dliflc.edu)- "the acknowledged
> leader in foreign language education throughout DoD and the federal government"
> - set up a whole new Persian Farsi program which now graduates the second
> largest group of students after Arabic (In 2004, 157, vs 521 in Arabic). This
> is Persian, ie Iranian Farsi, not the Afghan version(Dari). This was clearly
> for military purposes given the absence of diplomatic contacts.
<snip>
> The Institute produced a 'Basic Farsi Language Survival Guide', early in 2003,
> intended for 'use by advance parties [sic] or others who may not have immediate
> access to a qualified linguist'. Advance parties, of course, arrive in advance
> of a main force. It specifically mentions the Toman, Iran's currency (10 Rials
> = 1 Toman) and the helpful phrase "I have no Iranian money", as well as "We are
> Americans", "Help is on the way" and "You will not be harmed". Cheery informal
> salutations such as "Stop or I will shoot", "Follow our orders", "Put your
> weapon down", "Lie on your stomach", "Surrender" and "You are a prisoner" give
> a good flavour of the kind of rapport the guide is intended to help build with
> the local population.

Steve jaan, that's exactly the sort of guidebook given to Iraq-bound solders:

A sample:

"Hello." "Do you speak English?" "I do not speak Arabic." "What is your name?" "We are here to help you." "Stop or I'll shoot." "Are there armed men near here?" "Speak slowly." "Where is the latrine?" "I will take you to the hospital." "Is the water safe to drink?" "Is the food fresh?" "Explosive."

(Michael Gilbert, "Language Classes Scarce at All Levels," The News Tribune, 28 May 28 2006, <http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/5772990p-5161355c.html>)</blockquote>

How do you say "Irán sería la tumba del imperialismo" in Farsi? -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>