[lbo-talk] Re: Re: All Hail the Lamont Campaign Staff!!!

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 18:37:43 PDT 2006

Wasn't the climate towards social programs in general at Nixon's time was so different from ours that Nixon flirted with guaranteed minimum yearly income? If that's the case, can anyone name a contemporary mainstream politician in the US who -isn't- to his right on social programs? Altho I wasn't even born till reagan so what do I know. I am not saying Nixon wasn't an evil, evil fuck by the way.

But Lamont is for universal healthcare, and after meeting with ct manufacturing unions, dropped his support for free trade pacts. In a time of deepest reaction, I think his staff's work in ct is nothing to sneeze at by far. Altho it is sad how, between him and Corzine, the only lefty-leanings we sent to the senate since Wellstone died have been jillionaires.

Jim