Cox &Plato (was Re: [lbo-talk] putting quackery to the test)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 10 21:38:37 PDT 2006

>[I allow that in a dialogue it's always possible to say "he" didn't say
>it. Especially given Plato's multiple forms of irony. Nevertheless.]
>
>"Would you say a man deserves to be a physician at the moment when he
>makes a mistake in treating his patient and just in respect of that
>mistake; or a mathematician, when he does a sum wrong and just in
>respect of that mistake. . . ." Republic, I, 340. Cornford tr.

Observe how an exquisitely subtle and precise ("just in respect of that mistake") move by [the dramatic character] Sokrates, in his dialectical refutation of [the dramatic character] Thrasymachos's assertion that the concept of justice signifies merely the interest of the ruling class, is transformed into the statement "Plato claimed that a mathematician wasn't a mathematician when he was committing an error."

Shane Mage

Nanki Poo: "What if it should prove that, after all, I am no musician?" Yum Yum: "There! I was certain of it, directly I heard you play!" (W.S. Gilbert)