[lbo-talk] sex in S Korea

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 13:00:28 PDT 2006

Doug posted:

<http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,431224,00.html>

and from the article:

"But if you really want to learn about the Asian sex life, "Love Land" in South Korea is the place to visit."

Yeah, Cheju.

Listen, the problem with these kinds of articles, - and I speak as someone who's very close to the subject of Hanguk life - is a tendency to electron microscope sexy/colorful elements of a culture (what was the word Joanna used in the course of the epic "putting quackery..." struggle - dis-articulate?) and majestically conclude the situation has been explained.

But let's take a walk some summer night down one of Seoul's narrow side streets - with only the faint, electric blue light of the LG Gangnam tower for illumination - to one of the hole-in-the-wall sex bars where lonely blokes go to forget.

Or we could watch an ajuma chastise a young woman for being a bit too risque in her choice of dress.

Am I saying that S. Korea is repressed?

No sir, no mam.

I'm saying that a visit to Cheju is just a visit to Cheju and not a comprehensive guide to "Asian sex life".

That's just crazy magazine talk.

.d.

I never liked you Rusty...you were always a smart alec, a sass mouth and a bit of a giggle puss.

Dr. Impossible

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/