[lbo-talk] Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism! - was/ videogames

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 13:26:29 PDT 2006

I may not be the most qualified to weigh in here, but for some reason I just can NOT get into video games the way some folks (including members of my own family) are able to.

I have a PS2, and probably my fave games have been stuff like Spyro, Devil May Cry, Castlevania, and Red Faction (which has vaguely communist overtones that I kind of of dig).

Every moment I sit playing a video game I feel like I'm probably wasting my time and should be reading something. Maybe that's just me. Like I said, Red Faction seemed kind of cool. And I know it's an older game (meaning 4 years old), but I know it generated enough outrage to have a few Xtian sites condemn it. (In the game you're a working class miner on Mars who's determined to fight back against the exploiting corporation who's made you a slave, with your fellow-ly exploited comrades).

Having said that, I just cannot spend much time on my PS2 the way I could watching interesting, culturally relevant movies ('Why We Fight," etc.) or just reading a good book.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"The Times, whose growing coverage of video game culture is especially impressive when you consider that anyone who plays video games is functionally illiterate... "