[lbo-talk] Re: Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 12 11:51:48 PDT 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> On 8/11/06, BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > > JM: I see no more oddness to the fact that many people under
> > > 30 don't "get" _film noir_ or many other movies from the
> > > thirties and forties such as classic musicals, than most
> > > people don't get classic opera.

> > BD: I find it not only odd, but symptomatic of the
> > hyperindividualization that affects and debases today's culture.

This reminds me of a WW 2 veteran at 80 rambling along about how they just don't raise kids the way they use to.

One of the most debilitating weaknesses of classical humanism (Coleridge through Arnold and Eliot to Brooks) was this assumption that there existed an eternal collection of "monuments" which all men (and sometimes women) who truly human could and would learn to appreciate.

Brian is an intelligent person. I find it almost inconceivable that he should actually think it odd if any given person or collection of persons did not like any given collection of "works of art" (movies, music painting, what have you).

It would be astounding if the opposite were the case, which fortunately it isn't, and we are there for able to simply ignore, except for occasional bursts such as the present, all those old coots complainng that the young'uns aint what they used to be in my day.

Culture has been hyper-individualist for a couple centuries.

Carrol

Carrol