[lbo-talk] Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism! - was/ videogames

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Aug 13 12:02:28 PDT 2006

W. Kiernan wrote:
> Bryan Atinsky wrote:
> >
> > Why isn't that also the case in heavy book readers? It is
> > a solitary sport in which hours upon hours are spent in
> > blocking out the world around you. Two people sitting next
> > to each other reading may as well be in different worlds.
>
> Instead of "two people sitting next to each other" it seems like two
> separate, intimate conversations. When I read a book, even crap fiction
> or propaganda, I'm being spoken to by a human being in a human language.
> On the down side the communication is only one-way but on the other
> hand an author is going to great lengths to present his thoughts to me,
> human to human and in depth and detail unmatched in ordinary speech.

This happens in good video games too. Moreover, I don't get this feeling of human connection with "crap" fiction: it's just mindless, recycled plots, cliched characterizations, dopey plot points. With some particularly bad fiction, I get the feeling it's just being cranked out by a machine. Judging all video games by taking a look at (say) Grand Theft Auto is like judging all books by reading a Harlequin romance.

Miles