[lbo-talk] Bush admin pressed Brits to arrest suspects

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 14 11:20:57 PDT 2006

Andie wrote: "We should also get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, which is a good deal more like, at least it will happen within our lifetimes, and probably within the decade. But that wouldn't be enough to placate the Islamists."

I'm not at all sure about whether that matters actually. The types of groups responsible for 911 and similar rely on at least a certain level of popular anger at the US and also on $$ from sources that are both angry and able to supply funds for such groups. Their extent to act is closely tied to both. That a dramatic change in US policies in the mideast would have an impact is, in my estimation, quite a bit higher than you seem willing to acknowledge, no?

Steve

Stephen Philion Assistant Professor Department of Sociology and Anthropology St. Cloud State University St. Cloud, MN

http://stephenphilion.efoliomn2.com/