[lbo-talk] Class Power vs. Profit Maximization (wasTacticaldifferences at the top)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 14 16:30:43 PDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 7:22 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> If you poll those who own or work Wall Street, it may be possible that
> a majority express a preference for a multilateralist, pro-European,
> "moderate" position. But if they do, they don't appear to have
> organized themselves into a formidable bloc to prompt the government
> to adopt it.

This depends on who you mean by Wall Street. I suspect the consensus on WS in the run-up to the war was, Bush probably knows what he's doing, so if this goes like he says, so much the better. I doubt they gave it much thought. As it's gone on, and badly, I'm guessing lots would like it to go away, but they're not sure how. Aside from the very senior levels, who have to deal with the state, the political thinking of lots of the Street is pretty rudimentary. And no doubt there's a sprinkling of primitive hawks who'd cheer those horrid letters from the Ayn Rand Institute.

Doug