[lbo-talk] Japan PM visits controversial war shrine

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 22:44:39 PDT 2006

Japan PM visits war shrine on WW2 anniversary

Linda Sieg Reuters

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:01pm ET

TOKYO - Outgoing Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi paid his respects at Tokyo's controversial Yasukuni Shrine for war dead on Tuesday, the anniversary of his country's World War Two surrender, a parting shot sure to enrage neighbors China and South Korea.

The Shinto shrine honors Japanese World War Two leaders convicted as war criminals along with 2.5 million war dead and is considered a symbol of Japan's past militarism in the two Asian countries, where memories of Japanese aggression run deep.

Koizumi, wearing a morning suit and looking solemn as he followed behind a Shinto priest clad in traditional robes, bowed before entering the inner shrine at Yasukuni's huge compound.

The pilgrimage, aired live by Japanese TV broadcasters, was the first by a Japanese prime minister on the August 15 anniversary since Yasuhiro Nakasone paid his respects there on the emotive date in 1985.

Tokyo's ties with Beijing and Seoul have already deteriorated to their worst state in decades, in part because of Koizumi's past pilgrimages to the shrine.

While the United States has not publicly complained, experts say Washington is worried about Japan's growing isolation in the region and its deteriorating ties with China in particular.

Nationalist supporters of the shrine holding banners proclaiming solidarity with the emperor stood out among the crowds paying their respects at the shrine, where TV cameras and reporters had awaited the prime minister's arrival.

A group of right-wingers attacked a van carrying opponents of the shrine visit, some throwing rocks and others banging on the vehicle with umbrellas. Riot police moved in and the van left.

Koizumi, who plans to step down in September after more than five years in office, promised during his campaign to become ruling party chief in 2001 that he would visit the shrine on the August 15 anniversary.

He had visited every year since, but never on that date.

Koizumi says he goes to the shrine to pray for peace and honor those who sacrificed their lives for their country.

Critics argue his visits reflect Japan's failure to face up to its wartime past, including atrocities committed in Asia.

The shrine, which played a central role in the wartime state religion that helped mobilize the nation to fight in the name of a divine emperor, considers 14 wartime leaders convicted by an Allied tribunal as Class A war criminals to be "martyrs".

A museum on the shrine's grounds depicts the Pacific war as one Japan was forced to fight in self-defense and has been criticized for ignoring atrocities committed by Japanese.

Japanese public opinion is divided on whether the prime minister should make pilgrimages to Yasukuni and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) is itself split on the issue.

"We decided to come today to come to terms with our feelings. My wife's father died at sea near Taiwan and it has always been on our minds," said a 67-year-old Japanese businessman who was visiting Yasukuni with his wife

"I have many Chinese friends and I am sure they would not be happy if Koizumi visits," he said. "But I myself do not know much about who is honored there. It seems people outside know more about Yasukuni than the Japanese."

Visits by Japanese leaders to the shrine have become a focus of the competition to succeed Koizumi in a ruling party leadership election on September 20.

Many Japanese business leaders, concerned the diplomatic chill could hurt vital economic ties with China, have made clear they want the next prime minister to halt the visits.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe -- seen as increasingly certain to succeed Koizumi -- has defended the prime minister's pilgrimages and went there himself this time last year. A Media have said Abe, 51, also paid a secret visit in April.

The soft-spoken political blue-blood, a security hawk known for his tough stance toward China and North Korea, has declined to say whether he would go there if he becomes prime minister.

One lagging contender, Finance Minister Sadakazu Tanigaki, has promised to refrain from going there if he becomes premier.

(additional reporting by Chisa Fujioka and Elaine Lies)

<http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006- 08-14T230144Z_01_T137766_RTRUKOC_0_US-JAPAN-SHRINE.xml&archived=False>