[lbo-talk] Boycott Japan, Seriously (was Japan PM visits controversial war shrine)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 05:15:21 PDT 2006

On 8/15/06, Steven L. Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Japan PM visits war shrine on WW2 anniversary
>
> Linda Sieg
> Reuters
> Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:01pm ET
>

> TOKYO - Outgoing Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi paid his respects
> at Tokyo's controversial Yasukuni Shrine for war dead on Tuesday, the
> anniversary of his country's World War Two surrender, a parting shot sure to
> enrage neighbors China and South Korea.

Today's Liberation Day, one of the few holidays celebrated in both North and South Korea, so it's a good day to start boycotting Japan.

If the annual Yasukuni visit doesn't motivate you enough, think of all the Treasury securities Tokyo buys:

MAJOR FOREIGN HOLDERS OF TREASURY SECURITIES (in billions of dollars) HOLDINGS 1/ AT END OF PERIOD

Country May 2006 Japan 637.9

<http://www.treasury.gov/tic/mfh.txt>

For those of you who are not satisfied with going after imperialists without also going after anti-imperialist Islamists, have I mentioned that Toyota Land Cruisers appear to be the vehicle of choice for the Taliban as well as the multinational empire's aid agencies, having received Osama bin Laden's product endorsement?

There is a hierarchy of vehicles among the more important lieutenants of the Taliban and Al Qaeda, Mr. bin Laden's terrorist organization. Not for them anything discreet and durable, to go with the austerity of their faith: nothing but a Land Cruiser will serve. For ordinary fighters, men with long beards and longer barrels on their ubiquitous Kalashnikovs, the vehicle of choice is the Toyota Hilux, a compact pickup truck popular throughout the developing world. (John F, Burns, "Trucks of the Taliban: Durable, Not Discreet," New York Times, 23 November 2001, <http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30A13F73F5E0C708EDDA80994D9404482&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fO%2fOmar%2c%20Muhammad>)</blockquote>

If that is still not enough, how about this?

"Japan consumes 22 percent of Iranian oil exports and is slated to begin development this year of the largest and most modern onshore petroleum fields built in Iran since the 1979 Islamic revolution [Azadegan*]" (Anthony Faiola and Dafna Linzer, "Japan Wary Of Plan for Sanctions Against Iran: U.S. Ally Feels Tug of Financial, Energy Ties," Washington Post 13 June 2006: A14, <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/12/AR2006061201504.html>).

Does Tokyo not have any regard for human rights violations, its own, Washington's, and Tehran's? Do people who buy Japanese goods and governments who court Japanese investors not care about human rights violations at all?

There's more to not-so-secret affinity between Japan and Iran than trade and investment: Iran's "new conservatives" want to make their country "Islamic Japan":

(Farhad Khosrokhavar, "The New Conservatives Take a Turn," Middle East Report 233, Winter 2004, <http://www.merip.org/mer/mer233/khosrokhavar.html>)</blockquote>

Whether you hate America or Iran and Islamists or both, if you follow their money, as well as the genealogy of their new management philosophy, you eventually get to Japan. :->

Lastly, if you are worried about anti-Semitism, anti-anti-Semitism, anti-anti-anti-Semitism, and so on, a "Boycott Japan" campaign is an ideal tool to counter it, too. Your slogan can be, "It Ain't 'the Jews' -- It's the Bank of Japan!"

* Reuters, "Japan's Inpex Says No Date Set for Iran Deal," 10 August 2006, <http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06/08/10/10058780.html>. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>