[lbo-talk] CFR fellow on why they hate us

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 08:16:20 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Los Angeles Times - August 15, 2006
>
>Why They Hate Us
>No, it's not our freedoms. Anti-Americanism isn't going away until the
>U.S. puts some fairness in its foreign policy.
>By Julia E. Sweig
>
>AMERICA'S MORAL standing in the world has precipitously declined since
>2001. ...
>Nevertheless, the ideal of the United States as a beacon of justice,
>democracy, freedom and human rights still garners grudging respect abroad.

Gee, how much cognitive dissonance can Sweig pack in a column? I see plenty of evidence cited here for "why they hate us," but I see nothing to support her conclusion that the US is a "beacon" that "still garners grudging respect abroad." Where's the locus of that grudging respect, 10 Downing Street?

Carl