[lbo-talk] Engels Gives Up on Arabic and Struggles to Lean Persian

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:26:00 PDT 2006

Engels Gives Up on Arabic and Struggles to Lean Persian

"Since I am in any case tied up with the eastern mummery for some weeks, I have made use of the opportunity to learn Persian. I am put off Arabic, partly by my inborn hatred of Semitic languages, partly by the impossibility of getting anywhere, without considerable expenditure of time, in so extensive a language -- one which has 4,000 roots and goes back over 2,000-3,000 years. By comparison, Persian is absolute child's play. Were it not for that damned Arabic alphabet in which every half dozen letters looks like every other half dozen and the vowels are not written, I would undertake to learn the entire grammar within 48 hours." -- "Engels to Marx in London," Manchester, 6 June 1853, <http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1853/letters/53_06_06.htm>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>