[lbo-talk] strange bedfellows

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 16 20:07:35 PDT 2006

[Spencer is running as the "populist right" candidate against the upper-class right-winger KT McFarland - one of whose workers said of Yonkers, the city Spencer's mayor of, "that's where our maids live"]

From: <Spencer at MaxGop.com> Date: August 16, 2006 10:34:35 PM EDT Subject: Senator Clinton's Lieberman Primary Problem!

As you well know, John Spencer is the Republican – Conservative candidate for United States Senate running against Senator Hillary Clinton in New York this November.

What you may not know is Senator Clinton is in a similar situation as Senator Joe Lieberman – she has an anti-war primary opponent named Jonathan Tasini (see his website www.tasinifornewyork.org). Her primary is September 12th and the anti-war, left-wing of the Democratic Party is putting serious pressure on her.

Most of the country has taken a clear position on the War on Terror and the War in Iraq – Senator Clinton has not. John Spencer supports President Bush's efforts on the war and he supports our troops, Jonathan Tasini does not - no one really knows what Senator Clinton's position really is.

Over the past decade, Mayor Spencer has been a proven vote-getter in a Democratic city. He was twice elected Mayor of Yonkers, the fourth largest city in New York State, overcoming a 2-1 Democrat to Republican advantage. During his tenure as Mayor, he ran as a conservative, governed as a conservative, and was re-elected as a conservative. He is using the same strategy against Senator Clinton, and it is working. With three months to go to the election, the most recent polls have shown both that Mayor Spencer is within 19 points of Senator Clinton and that this shift is only the beginning of a bigger trend.

You can see a part of this strategy in action through this link to Mayor Spencer's newest campaign commercial.

Both Senator Clinton's recent political mistakes and increasing pressure from the anti-Lieberman liberals are disabling her ability to balance running for re-election and running for President at the same time. Many of these mistakes have been apparent, such as:

Accepting political donations from Iranian-Americans who are sympathetic to the radical Iranian Islamist regime

Accusing the NSA of being "a secret program that spies on Americans."

Playing politics with a war that directly affects the lives of our troops as well as endangers the lives of every American

Of her falters, none has been more prevalent then her wavering attitude towards the War on Terror. While Senator Clinton continues her balancing act, Mayor Spencer has taken a stand. Senator Lieberman's recent ousting in Connecticut is a message to all Republicans that the Democratic Party is growing more in favor of the anti-war effort by the day. Soon, Senator Clinton will be called upon to take a side, and one can be certain that, in light of recent events, she will think twice before butting heads with her party leaders. We all have liberal friends and colleagues. Please send them the link to Jonathan Tasini's campaign website (www.TasiniForNewYork.org) to put pressure on Senator Clinton to finally take a clear position. In addition, please forward Mayor Spencer's campaign website for those friends and family that support our President and our troops (www.SpencerForSenate.com).

The strong contrast that Mayor Spencer provides to Senator Clinton will make her vulnerable to the consistent, conservative, commonsense campaign that he is running against her. He has taken a stand. He has the message. He now just needs the funds in order to spread that message across New York State.

The fight against Hillary is real and winnable, but not without the proper funds. Please join the 75,000 Americans who are already supporting John Spencer's campaign. Please feel free to call me at (212) 201-0599 or e-mail me at Philip at MaxGop.com in order to discuss how you could help the campaign and the national fight against Senator Clinton. If you would like to find out more about Mayor Spencer and his campaign, please visit our website at www.SpencerForSenate.com. In addition, Mayor Spencer has a great blogging website www.JoinSpencer.com that has a lively conversation occurring on a daily basis.

Please make your generous donation made payable to Spencer for Senate, 28 Vestry Street, New York, NY 10013. (212) 201-0599. Mayor Spencer will be taking his campaign across the country from Georgia to Texas to California and back in late August and September. If you are interested in hosting or attending an event in your state, please let us know.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Phil Arnold Philip W. Arnold

Deputy Director of Finance John Spencer for Senate Philip at MaxGop.com (212) 201-0599