[lbo-talk] By George, he's got it!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 17 05:04:20 PDT 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 12:46 AM, Carl Remick wrote:

> Bush is crap, says Prescott;
> Deputy PM criticises US handling of Middle East, condemning
> 'cowboy' President at private meeting
>
> By Colin Brown, Deputy Political Editor
> Published: 17 August 2006
>
> John Prescott has given vent to his private feelings about the Bush
> presidency, summing up George Bush's administration in a single
> word: crap. ...

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4800827.stm>

Prescott denies calling Bush crap John Prescott has insisted the newspaper report was "inaccurate"

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has denied saying the Bush administration had been "crap" on the Middle East road map - the plan for peace in the region.

Labour MP Harry Cohen said the remark came during a private meeting on Tuesday with fellow Labour MPs.

Mr Cohen stressed the comment was about the specific road map policy rather a general view of President George Bush.

Mr Prescott said in a statement it was an inaccurate report of a private conversation "and it is not my view".

The remarks were said to have been made at talks with Muslim MPs and other Labour MPs with constituencies representing large Muslim communities.

In charge

Asked about Mr Prescott's denial, Mr Cohen told the BBC he did not think it was a "gaffe" by the deputy PM and that Mr Prescott should not be embarrassed.

Mr Cohen said he believed Mr Prescott's comment had been "an honest and good point well made".

Asked why Mr Prescott might deny it, Mr Cohen said it might be politically expedient "not to upset the Americans".

The Labour MP, whose constituency includes areas of east London where some terror raids took place last week, said he thought many of his fellow MPs and the wider population would agree that more should have been done by the US in pushing forward the Middle East road map in recent years.

Mr Cohen said Mr Prescott's "crap" comment had been specific to the US efforts on the road map.

It was not a view of President Bush generally, the Bush administration as a whole, or the Bush administration's general Middle East policy, he added.

He said Mr Prescott claimed he had only supported the Iraq war "because they were promised the road map".

Mr Cohen said Mr Prescott's other reported comment - calling Mr Bush a "cowboy" - was a joke related to his own recent difficulties over a cowboy outfit gift he was given last year.

Mr Prescott has been Tony Blair's deputy since he came to power in 1997. Mr Blair is on holiday at the moment, with Mr Prescott in charge of the government.