[lbo-talk] Doug's interview with Rasha Salti

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Aug 17 05:51:17 PDT 2006

I really appreciated this interview. Among other things, it neatly captures the spot secular progressives in the region find themselves in in the context of US/Israeli/Western/Arab government political and economic policies and the passing of the banner of opposition to Islamist groups, amid the long crisis of the traditional left. Towards the beginning of the interview, Salti describes as some length the many political accomplishments of Hizbollah -- e.g. how while participating in the Lebanese parliament they have remained apart from the endemic corruption, their social services, their advocacy for social justice. Doug says, you seem to be taking a much more favorable view here than you have in your blog. She laughs and says, well, actually, I hate them.

According to my interview with Rasha Salti <http:// www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#060810>, that's not quite true. She says they've adapted themselves to Lebanon's complex, cosmopolitan political culture and are not aggressively theocratic. She also says that as a secular democrat, she's not their biggest fan, but even she admires the way they kicked Israel's ass. It's not like they're about to take over the government & impose shariah.

Doug -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060817/23e32f92/attachment.htm>