[lbo-talk] Yad Vashem's statement on Iran

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Aug 17 06:10:38 PDT 2006

I wonder if there is any controversy at all in Israel or among Holocaust scholars and activists about Yad Vashem making statements like this. If not, there should be.

By making a statement like this, Yad Vashem is explicitly casting its lot with with the neo-conservative campaign against Iran.

>Yad Vashem said the display in "Iran, a nation that aspires to nuclear
>capabilities, and whose president has made genocidal statements against
>Israel, is a flashing red light signalling danger not only to Israel, but
>all enlightened nations".

Much better would have been,

>Yad Vashem said the display in "Iran, whose president has called for Israel
to be eliminated, should be condemned by all enlightened nations."

Or even,

>Yad Vashem said the display in "Iran, whose president has called for Israel
to be eliminated, and which is suspected of pursuing nuclear weapons, should be condemned by all enlightened nations."

The use of the ambiguous phrase "nuclear program" suggests an deliberate attempt to hitch their wagon to the neo-conservatives. Does anyone know if Yad Vashem has an independent board, or is it directly controlled by the government? I suspect that the US Holocaust Museum would not have made such a statement. I could be wrong - I don't follow this closely - but my sense in the past has been that they are more judicious about their pronouncements, precisely because they don't want Holocaust remembrance to become politicized in this way, since, if one's goal is truly Holocaust remembrance, this undermines the goal. I'm not suggesting everything about the US Holocaust museum is wonderful, or that their work is totally free of this sort of politicization, just that there seems to be a difference here worth noting.

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:04:32 +0500