[lbo-talk] Bush admin pressed Brits to arrest suspects

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Aug 17 09:48:00 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> I think we're muddling together several different
> groups under the same term with the use "Islamist." I
> am refering specifically to an expansionist, violent
> and uncompromising variety that first came to
> prominence in the Afghan-Soviet War. This group is
> ideologically committed to extremely (insanely)
> maximal demands that have been put into place (with
> disastrous consequences) in Afghanistan, Chechnya and
> Sudan. They are professional revolutionaries who
> travel around the Muslim world trying to hijack local
> conflicts involving Muslims into their own agenda. The
> same people go to the North Caucasus, to Iraq, to
> Kasmir, to China, to the Philippines.

Yes, I agree. What is frequently not realised in discussions about "political Islam" is that vast majority of muslims live outside West Asia and North Africa. Muslims are largely concentrated in South Asia (450 million), Indonesia (200 million), Nigeria, Russia etc and their politics is not mainly determined by issues like Palestine or Lebanon. Muslims in South Asia largely vote for or generally support secular parties. Fundamentalist Islamic currents don't really attract muslims in large numbers. It is, therefore, misleading to describe activities of tiny groups and movements as if they represent the mainstream politics amongst the adherents of Islam.

Ulhas