[lbo-talk] Juilo Huato on the threat of state violence against democracy activism in Mexico

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 14:38:08 PDT 2006

from his blog, "El Machete 2006"

Underground rivers

August 17th, 2006

There are many topics I should be writing about. Some of them are urgent, like the ominous threats of brutality the political establishment is sending to the Mexican people. (By “political establishment” I basically mean the federal government, the PRI/PAN and other de-facto powers: elite conservative business organizations, the mass media, the top command of the army, and the conservative hierarchy of the Catholic church.)

The signs are out there. The media’s deafening choir against the sit-in on the Paseo de la Reforma — which includes the voices of a group of sophisticated, supposedly liberal intellectuals and pundits — creates the proper mood. Then Fox’s recent decision to forcefully remove the demonstrators from the area surrounding San Lázaro (the Legislative Palace) tests the waters. He has extended the measure and, using elements of the armed forces and the PFP (which exhibited their brutality on May 4 in San Salvador Atenco, Mex.), has ordered the preemptive takeover of the entire area in anticipation of civil resistance actions during his September 1’s state-of-the-union address. To top it off, some hardliners claiming to represent the armed forces (see, for instance, Javier Ibarrola’s columns in Milenio, which can be read here) are making menacing noises.

I don’t know whether there is already a consensus in the heights. There must be influential elements in the political establishment doubting whether the violent imposition of their candidate is worth the high cost (see Jorge Castañeda’s last column in Reforma, where he feigns to search for a middle-ground solution to the political crisis). But it’s hard to say how decisive these conflicting voices might be. The least one can say is that some influential elements in the establishment are openly advocating for a violent response to the challenge posed by the democratic movement. They seem bent in setting the tracks for a bloody train wreck.

[...]

full

<http://machete2006.wordpress.com/2006/08/17/underground-rivers/>

I never liked you Rusty...you were always a smart alec, a sass mouth and a bit of a giggle puss.

Dr. Impossible

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/