[lbo-talk] The Reg Shoots Down Terror Plot

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 18 10:29:42 PDT 2006

The gimlet-eyed writers of the Reg rise to the occasion, and eviscerate the oiligarchy's latest exercise in petro-McCarthyism:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

-- DRR

[WS:] Do you really believe that this thing was faked? I admit that this briefly crossed my mind when I first heard the news, but when I thought about it, it is very unlikely.

First, what motive would the British officials have to fake it? The Bush administration may have motives, but the Brits?

Second, there is quite predictable high economic cost of disruptions in air traffic, so why did governments and airlines ACT on the news of arrests. If this were faked to scare the public, all they needed to do is to publish the news without putting the entire transatlantic air traffic to a screeching halt.

Third, there are too many people involved in this action, so if it were faked, somebody would likely say something, even if anonymously.

Fourth, there does not seem to be any adverse follow up by governments that would not otherwise pass (e.g. massive roundups, passing draconian legislation that otherwise would be blocked, or launching a military action).

So if there is no clear motive, gain, or even a follow up, and the cost and the risk of exposure are predictably very high, why would the British officials want to fake an event of this sort? They are, after all, rational people, regardless of what one may think of their ethics. I understand that for a conspiratorial mind, the absence of any evidence is further proof of conspiracy, but you do not fall into this mold, no?

Wojtek