[lbo-talk] the battle to rebuild Lebanon

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 18 11:50:59 PDT 2006

U.S. tries to counter Hezbollah rebuilding...

---------

Somebody mentioned the Marshall Plan the other day. I think that is the US model in its most cynical aspect. The Marshall plan was part of several other economic development schemes like the WB and IMF designed to counter the Soviet and Euro communist political efforts to realign Europe during reconstruction after WWII.

The US left is familiar with the endless slime-ball aid schemes the US tried in Latin America during the cold war to stop left popular movements.

So here we are... I hope Hezbollah and the Lebanonese government have read their Euro-American history of such efforts. Iraq is a great current example of how such `aid' is used as weapon of war and conquest by other means.

It would nice to see the Lebanonese reject these US trojan horse reconstruction plans. They would be wiser to turn instead to Iran, Russia, and maybe Chavez and the Cubans---all of whom are intimately familiar with the viciousness of US aid efforts.

CG