[lbo-talk] the battle to rebuild Lebanon

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Aug 17 12:42:48 PDT 2006

I suspect whatever US aid materializes will be too little too late. It has committed 50 million while already ten times that has been earmarked for reconstruction by the Saudis, IIRC. Colin Brace

------

I thought about mentioning the Saudis, but if I were Lebanonese, I wouldn't trust them. They were way to quick to fall in line with the US and Israel in their joint blather to stall the UN ceasefire---and I would suspect the Saudis of providing a front of some kind for the UK and US intelligence services to weasle their way into the internal politics of Lebanon reconstruction---putatively for `technical assistance' while they spied on Hezbollah's political consolidation in Lebanon and pimped the info to the Israelis.

Of course a similar slime case can be made for the French and Germans. Lebanon is probably safer to go with potential enemies or at least foriegn policy adversaries of the US like Russia and Iran---and that's why I mentioned Chavez and the Cubans.

CG