[lbo-talk] Haaretz

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 19 07:59:33 PDT 2006

A question about Haaretz for the Israelis (or anybody else) on the list.

I've been on chatting a bit over the net with an Israeli reservist who just got back from fighting in Lebanon. He's actually a very nice guy. Anyway he told me that Haaretz is actually a fringe publication with only about 60,000 readers in Israel, mostly in Tel Aviv, and that it's actually primarily aimed at foreigners via the Internet (a la the Moscow Times). He also says it's 40% German-owned.

True? False? Both? Neither?

What does "aretz" mean, anyway?