[lbo-talk] Re: Walmart flak Andy Young joins the Gibson-Allen brigade

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Aug 19 20:09:05 PDT 2006

I totally agree with you (of course) that retail prices facing poor people is a valid issue but for Andy Young to racialize this, given his stature and credentials and role as Walmart PR guy is not a small thing, not a small thing at all. To me it suggests not a gaffe, but a deliberate strategy. To use racism for political advantage on behalf of your corporate client who's paying you megabucks for the service when your political stature is in large part due to opposition to racism - that's pretty slimy. I think it's a reasonable guess that this was not the first time Young did this -- this time he did it openly, and got caught.