[lbo-talk] Terror in America

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 23:57:06 PDT 2006

On 8/20/06, Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion at mx6.tiki.ne.jp> wrote:

> From my experience in France, things are a little different. If you
> go to Paris from the 14th of July to the 15th of August you'll find a
> lot of small shops just closed. For offices, it is just similar, the
> run very slow, with probably half the staffing.

Well, that doesn't happen here. People stagger their holidays and rarely take the full four weeks at once: it's normal to take, say, two weeks at some point during the summer, a week at Christmas or in the spring and use the remaining days as sort of "floating" holidays.

Some offices do shut down between Christmas and New Year's, but in my experience that is the *cause* of people taking a week's holidays at that time, not the *effect*.