[lbo-talk] Israel Military Industries seeks IDF restocking order

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Mon Aug 21 01:39:28 PDT 2006

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3293712,00.html

Israel Military Industries seeks IDF restocking order

Israel Military Industries Ltd. vying for its share of expected IDF orders to restock its artillery shell reserve after some 140,000 shells fired during recent war in Lebanon Aryeh Egozi

Israel Military Industries Ltd. (IMI) is vying for its share of expected IDF orders to restock its artillery shell reserve, this after some 140,000 shells were fired during the recent war in Lebanon.

During the war the IDF placed an emergency order of artillery shells with the United States. In recent years the Defense Ministry has preferred to purchase shells using American military aid.

Until the arrival of the new 155 mm shells from the US, the army fired many old American-made shells, some of which were duds, at targets in Lebanon.

“Our production lines have had a very low output, and I hope we’ll get the order,” senior IMI Workers Committee Chairman Yitzhak Yehuda said. “This would mean 3-4 years worth of work for some 600 employees."

IMI is currently manufacturing a special protection apparatus for public buildings, mainly for schools in Israeli communities surrounding the Gaza Strip.