[lbo-talk] Walmart flak Andy Young joins the Gibson-Allen brigade

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Aug 21 13:34:55 PDT 2006

Charles Brown writes:
>CB: I was just thinking last week that with nuclear weapons in the world,
>if we analogize chess to war, then it would be as if there was a new chess
>rule by which if a certain configuration of pieces on the board was reached,
>both players would have to commit suicide.

But one of the players would have to make the move *into* that position, like moving into check. At least both players are playing the same game, perhaps an advance over the cold war situation in which it was said that while the Soviets were playing chess, the US poker. In the 80's my dad updated Careers, a bestselling board game he invented in the 50s -- one of the new features was that you could, with luck and dedication, go into politics, get elected president, enter the 'war room,' and start World War III, ending the game. But you would only win if you set out to be just such a megalomaniac from the first, creating a success formula which amounted to spending your 'life' seeking nothing but power.

Jenny Brown