[lbo-talk] Effective use of Internet tools?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Aug 22 10:34:20 PDT 2006

[apologies for the cross-post for those subscribed to both lists]

A while ago, the idea of a PEN-L group blog, and even Wiki, was floated. I had setup a trial blog, and also a Wiki, but the effort did not gain much traction (perhaps because I had not provided enough guidance for the potential users). There are other recent services/tools on the Internet, such as social bookmarking, which might be effective in harnessing our collective wisdom (share ideas, concepts, links, etc). But I suspect we may not find a lot of enthusiasm for these applications, either.

Is this because most list-members (on LBO or PEN-L) are already involved in using such tools in other forums? Or other sources exist for the same sort of information? (Why a separate "left" Wiki when you can just contribute to Wikipedia?)

Or are these mostly toys that will not serve any productive need?

Is it a steep learning curve or lack of time?

To the tech-savvy folks on the list (Dwayne, Jordan, others), what is your take on such services? Do you think they may be useful?

Thoughts?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/