[lbo-talk] A question for the anti-"conspiracy"-theorists about9/11

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Aug 23 07:58:44 PDT 2006

Joseph writes:

> what has in fact happened is that those who do try to
> find out what happened are labelled 'conspiracists' by
> those who accept unquestiongly the official version
> despite the proven mendacity of this administration.

I think it's disingenuous to divide the world into those who are "truth seekers" and those who "accept unquestioningly the official version" -- and it's clearly one of the ways that this "truth movement" turns off a lot of people ... it also smells a lot like "You're either with us or you're against us" ... I have questions, sure. I know that there are many things I'll never know all the details about -- this is true for most of the things that I find interesting on a daily basis.

At the end of the day, for me, I actually don't think it matters "who did it" -- the much more important question is: what is that event being used for against me on a daily basis? I read an interesting article in Atlantic this month by James Fallows who thinks the best thing that could happen now is to "declare victory" in this "war on terror" ...

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200609/fallows_victory

/jordan