[lbo-talk] Israel Must Win By Gilad Atzmon

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Aug 24 05:46:42 PDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:08:12 -0600 "Michael Pugliese" <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> writes:
> Neturei Karta, HEH, those are looniest Jews out there. Who hold
> that the Holocaust was a Divine Punishment.

Well the notion that the Holocaust was divine punishment is not peculiar to the Neturei Karta but is in fact pretty much the standard view of the subject within Orthodox Judaism. Thus in a 1987 article (The London Times, May 9, 1987),

Lord Immanuel Jakobovitz, who was then the Chief Orthodox Rabbi of Great Britain and the Commonwealth, asserted that the Holocaust was divine punishment for the apostasy of the German Jews who founded assimilationist Reform Judaism.

"This idol of individual assimilation," he wrote, "exploded in the very country in which it was invented, to be eventually melted down and incinerated in the crematoria of Auschwitz."

Likewise the revered Chabad leader Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson in his 1980 book, Faith and Science (Emunah v' Madah), argued that, in permitting the Holocaust, God had cut off the gangrenous arm of the Jewish people. On this basis, he concluded that the Holocaust was a good thing, because without it, the entire Jewish people would have perished.

I agree that this view is whacky and highly offensive but if one holds, as do Orthodox Jews along with conservative Christians and Muslims, that God is a being who is at once omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent, then really no other view that can make sense. All evil events, even the Holocaust must necessarily be part of the divine plan and so must ultimately result in good, even if we, with our finite intellects, cannot perceive this. The Neturei Karta may be whack jobs, but their looniness is widely shared with others, whose political views concerning Israel may be quite different from theirs.