[lbo-talk] Liberate Doug from Old Fogeyism! - was/ videogames

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 08:04:31 PDT 2006

On 8/11/06, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/11/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> > The Times, whose growing coverage of video game culture is especially
> > impressive when you consider that anyone who plays video games is
> > functionally illiterate...

This is from the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists: http://www.thebulletin.org/print.php?art_ofn=ja06schollmeyer_100

"_Games get serious_

If you think video games are child's play, meet the growing community of scientists, policy makers, and game developers who beg to differ.

By Josh Schollmeyer

July/August 2006 pp. 34-39 (vol. 62, no. 4) (c) 2006 Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists "

I also remember Stephen Jay Gould's article on the movie Jurassic Park and technology in The New York Review of Books. (Dinomania http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2483 ) which points out that games, entertainment, recreation, push important technological change and help in the construction of interesting thought models.