[lbo-talk] The Hippies!

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 20:59:07 PDT 2006

George Harrison http://www.drdave.org/Rock-n-Roll/GorgeHarrison-SFGate.htm
>...In "Dark Horse," a Harrison biography, author Geoffrey Giuliano
quotes him saying that he'd thought the Haight "would be something like King's Road (in London), only more. Somehow I expected them to all own their own little shops. I expected them all to be nice and clean and friendly and happy."

Instead, he said, he found the hippies "hideous, spotty little teenagers." (Giuliano also described Harrison as being too stoned to play, offending the crowd by returning the guitar without singing, and being chased back to his limo by a "wild band of jeering hippies.")

Remember Harry Reasoner of CBS News? http://www.drdave.org/Articles/TheHippi427.JPG http://www.drdave.org/Articles/TheHippieTemptation.htm Harry Reasoner and Warren Wallace visit The Haight Ashbury District and present to us the truth about the "Hippie Movement." If you were, are, or would like to be a Hippie, this video is must viewing.

Jerry Garcia: Uh, what we're thinkin' about is a peaceful planet. We're not thinkin' about anything else. We're not thinkin' about any kind of power, we're not thinkin' about any of those kind of struggles. We're not thinkin about revolution or war or any of that. That's not what we want. Nobody wants to get hurt. Nobody wants to hurt anybody. We would all like to be able to live an uncluttered life. A simple life, a good life, you know, and like think about moving the whole human race ahead a step or a few steps. (Interjection by band members: "or half a step or anything. More positive".) At least not going around in circles like it is now. -- Michael Pugliese