[lbo-talk] Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia (was Radicalism of Morons)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 25 05:17:12 PDT 2006

--- "www.leninology. blogspot.com" <leninology at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Noticeably, the European far right is tailoring its
> message to respond to this.

Your British and Belgian examples don't apply to Germany. Here, the far-right - and again, keep in mind, these are not marginal groups, the NPD has a fraction in the Landtag of Sachsen - is committed, however cynically or disingenuously (and actually, they seem sincere), to the Palestinian cause specifically, and more generally, to viewing militant, political Islam as a liberation movement.

You might think I'm kidding, but I'm not. When Nazis march, and the Left counter-demonstrates, you can always tell the two sides apart. The Nazis are the wons wearing Keffiyahs and banners proclaiming solidarity with the Iraqi resistance. The Antifas are the ones with Israeli flags and pictures of Arthur Harris.

This is not to say that I think flying national flags is something any Leftist should do, just that the world is a rather complicated place.

You might *wish* that the European far-right were committed to Israel, so that we as the heroic good guy Left can say point to the bad-guy Nazis who support Israel, and the good-guy Leftists who are in solidarity with the Palestinians, but that doesn't correspond to the reality in every country. And not just in Germany. As I understand it, Pat Robertson in the United States is not a big Israel supporter either.