[lbo-talk] Tony Cliff on the Muslim Brotherhood

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:32:48 PDT 2006

MPug wrote:

> http://www.marxists.org/archive/cliff/works/1946/07/provocation.htm
> >...The British are at the same time doing all in their power to
> foster the Moslem Brotherhood, a clerical-fascist organization in
> Egypt, which is at present organizing branches in Palestine.
>
> Heh, will the current leaders of the UK SWP disavoy this Hitchenite
> from his grave?

No, we won't be "disavoying" him any time soon, or even disinterring him for that matter - if you wanted a more contemporary and fully worked out analysis of Political Islam that was written while Cliff was still very much alive and active, you could have had a look at Chris Harman's "The Prophet and the Proletariat", which correctly describes Islamism as neither progressive nor fascist, but a distinctive and unique kind of politics:

http://www.marxisme.dk/arkiv/harman/1994/prophet/index.htm

Cliff was a brilliant revolutionary and - as I personally know - a fantastic speaker. But he did not get absolutely everything right at all times - only gods are infallible, and Cliff was nothing if not irreligious. One other thing I can tell you for certain is that this lifelong anti-imperialist and anti-racist would not ever have found himself issuing incoherent, inept attacks on the left, supporting American imperialism and spewing out anti-Muslim racism. _________________________________________________________________ Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail. http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d