[lbo-talk] Israel Must Win By Gilad Atzmon

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Aug 26 04:08:35 PDT 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:26:40 -0400 Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> writes:

> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:06:11 -0400 (EDT) Michael Pollak
> <mpollak at panix.com> writes:
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Jim Farmelant wrote:
> >

> You are correct that I got those citations from him. As to their
> veracity, or lack thereof, I found an interesting discussion
> concerning the one attributed to Schneerson at:
> http://tinyurl.com/lk8qx
>
> And the book itself certain does exist. It's listed in
> the Library of Congress card catalog as follows:
> LC Control Number: 79951185
> Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
> Brief Description: Schneerson, Menachem M., 1902- [from old
> catalog]
> Emunah u-mada?.
> 5737 [1977]
> 21, 148 p., [1] leaf of plates : port. ; 23 cm.
>
> CALL NUMBER: BM538.S3 S36
> Copy 1
> -- Request in: Jefferson or Adams Bldg General or Area
> Studies Reading
> Rms

And apparently this book exists in two editions, one that came out in 1976 or 1977, and the second one (which Grünbaum was apparently referring to) in 1979 or 1980. http://worldcatlibraries.org/oclc/19145347?tab=editions

I think your confusion about the existence of this book stems from the fact that it was published in Israel in Hebrew. As I am sure your well aware, a multiplicity of transliterations from Hebrew to English is possible, which can make it difficult when is doing Internet searches for a book title. To verify Grünbaum's cite from that book would require a knowledge of Hebrew. However, at this point, I would bet even money that Grünbaum got it right, atheists' old wives' tales, not withstanding.