[lbo-talk] Hitch on ObL as liberation theologist

www.leninology. blogspot.com leninology at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 26 16:14:36 PDT 2006

Doug cites the infidel Hitchens as follows:

> > Try Bruce Lawrence's intro to the Verso edition of OBL's
> > sermons....The Guevara of our times no less! Or any of the stuff
> > that says he's a protest against poverty and repression - you won't
> > have to look far and can do it with one hand while holding a
> > feeding-bottle.

I wasn't aware that Guevara was a liberation theologist, but if Hitchens is handing out tips on what to do with one hand, I'm through with satire. As Tariq Ali once pointed out, onanism has never shaken a friendlier hand than Hitchens'.

ps: the tendency for Hitchens to proceed by metonymy and insinuation is obviously not new: but does it not establish him as precisely the kind of quack, hack and demogogue that he was once gleefully dismissive of? _________________________________________________________________ Be one of the first to try Windows Live Mail. http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d