[lbo-talk] Massimo D'Alema: "We don't want to destroy Hisbollah"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 03:59:23 PDT 2006

Those postulating a smooth cooperation and commonality of goals between the US and the EU take note. Italian Foreign Minister Massimo D'Alema says in an interview that the goal of the UN Peacekeeping force is not the destruction of Hisbollah, which D'Alema views as a legitimate presence in Lebanese society.

I wonder how this will play out in the long term. I think the recent conflict was the perfect opportunity for the core European powers to finally start to become players in the region.

It would be interesting to take bets to see how long it takes for US and EU interests to come into conflict in the region.

Of course, I fully expect Dennis Redmond to chime in and let us know that the European powers are exemplary peace keepers, and that the dismemberment of Yugoslavia at the hands of Genscher and Kohl and then of Schroeder and Fischer was really just an exercise in protecting human rights, just as this intervention will surely be.

After all, imperialism is something that only the Americans do.

story: http://www.tagesschau.de/aktuell/meldungen/0,1185,OID5847062_TYP6_THE_NAV_REF1_BAB,00.html