[lbo-talk] KISS's Gene Simmons sends video to IDF war hero

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 06:57:05 PDT 2006

[For more Simmons douche-baggery, check out this interview w/ Terry Gross: http://www.maniahill.com/funny/Gene_Simmons_Terry_Gross_Fresh_Air_02_04_2002.htm

-B.]

Gene Simmons sends video to Israeli

Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:32 PM ET

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli-born "KISS" rocker Gene Simmons sent a get-well video to an Israeli soldier wounded in Lebanon, calling him a hero the world should be proud of.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of you and how much the world and Israel owe you a debt of gratitude," Simmons told Ron Weinreich, a tank crewman paralyzed from the chest down, in a video broadcast on Saturday on Israel's Channel 2 television.

Channel 2 said the KISS bassist made the video for Weinreich, a fan of the legendary rock group, at the request of Israel's Soldiers' Welfare Association, a fund-raising group.

Weinreich, hospitalized near Tel Aviv, was wounded two weeks ago in fighting against Hizbollah guerrillas.

"From the bottom of my heart, you're a real hero, you're everybody's hero, you're my hero," said Simmons, who recorded the video in the United States and added in Hebrew: "My name is Chaim. I was born in Haifa."

Simmons was born Chaim Witz in the northern Israeli port city in 1949. He emigrated to the United States at the age of eight with his mother, a survivor of a Nazi concentration camp.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-08-26T173158Z_01_L26792204_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST-ISRAEL-SIMMONS.xml&archived=False&src=082606_1450_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters