[lbo-talk] Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV survived attacks

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 27 14:12:31 PDT 2006

Joel writes:

> Hey Marvin - I have to disagree.

[...]

> If they could have obtained Nasrallah's head, they would have,
> irrespective of the
> consequences.
================================== But that's my point, Joel. I have to assume if YOU knew this was where Nasrallah and al-Manar were from "various sources", then - unless it is a fabrication - all of these sources are ultimately traceable back to Israeli intelligence.

So the Israeli leadership would have known too.

But Jim suggested that the Israelis were afraid of the consequences of a war with Iran, to which you expressed your concurrence, and then went on to say that they would have "obtained Nasrallah's head", if they could have, "irrespective of the consequences". You'll forgive me for thinking you've contradicted yourself.

I really don't know how much Israel wants or does not want a conventional war with Iran and/or Syria, which they're much better equipped to fight than an irregular conflict with Hezbollah.

But I don't believe in nay case that the Iranians would have taken the bait and used the incident to do anything other than perhaps fire a few longer-range missiles at Israel, and likely from south Lebanon through Hezbollah. If they wanted to engage Israel militarily, they and/or Syria could have done so when the Israelis launched their assault.

Incidentally, I don't believe leaders are "stupid" (ok, I will make an exception for Bush) although they do miscalculate. Olmert, Peretz, and Halutz, as we know, miscalculated badly.