[lbo-talk] WMT goes orgo

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:36:25 PDT 2006

Spend a few hours scanning the microfilm reels of the, "Underground Press Collections, 1963-1985, " http://www.proquest.com/products_umi/descriptions/Underground-Press-Collections-512.shtml

which has dozens of complete runs of radical left/counterculture rags and from the mid 60's to mid 70's you will find, in the same issue articles on organic food and farming and lauding the GPCR. (Scanning the run of The Guardian, the late NYC radical newspaper I kept on thinking I'd find a letter from Carrol Cox in reply to a October League cadre calling LRS revisionist...)

Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge? Well, the CPML, "The Call, " newspaper did run three articles by Daniel Burstein (later reprinted as pamphlet), cited in Chomsky/Herman's 2nd volume on Cambodia/Vietnam and the reconstruction of imperial ideology, lauding the accomplishments of the Khmer Rouge. By then, rad left enthusiasm for the most radical aspects of Maoism had begun to abate, so this was hotly contested. (See, the Line of March pamphlet by Irwin Silber, "Kampuchea: The Revolution Rescued, " after the Vietnamese intervention.)