[lbo-talk] Poll: They really don't want us there

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 08:45:07 PDT 2006

Yoshie:

> A funny thing is that neither Doug nor Proyect knows anything about
> Iran, but they have a firm opinion about what it is and what attitude
> all leftists should take (as if our opinions mattered); and that
> neither Doug nor Proyect would be interested in domestic politics of
> Iran but for my interest in it.

I find this ridiculous back/and/forth sad and depressing. While I'm more in Doug's and Lou's corner when it comes to the Iranian state, and am somewhat mystified (but not completely surprised) by Yoshie's embrace of her "Persian Prince" (good god), I've still learned a lot from Yoshie about the inner-workings of present-day Iran. Clearly, she's done much homework and has pointed us to sources which can teach us more, if we so desire. I suppose my complaint about Yoshie on this front is her with-her-or-against-her tone, this drawing a correct line in the Persian sand. Surely, we can learn from each other without having to embrace every point made, yes? Especially at a brutal moment in time like now?

Dennis