[lbo-talk] Re: WMT goes orgo

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Tue Aug 29 11:08:49 PDT 2006

At around 29/8/06 2:38 pm, Miles Jackson wrote:
> Willy Greenfields wrote:
>
>> I don't see this teleology, honestly. The drive to increase
>> earnings doesn't necessarily require a Walmart-style assault on
>> labor. Costco, which competes against WMT and its SAM's Club,
>> follows a much different operating model. For the nature of the
>> work completed by most of its employees, it pays what passes for a
>> decent wage in this country (this is skewed a bit by the
>> warehouse-type environment - more forklift and sideloader
>> operators, for instance - but the basic point holds). Compare
>> market performance of Walmart and Costco shares. Costco's not
>> really being penalized for its 'generosity,' at least on a relative
>> basis.
>
> Walmart income for 2005: $11.2 billion Costco income for 2005: $1.1
> billion
>
> It seems obvious to me what type of management is facilitated by and
> handsomely rewarded in a capitalist economy.

This is not a fair comparison, is it? Costco, as noted above, competes only with the Sam's Club division of WalMart. Also, what is the real number to look at? Margins/Profit-%? or Income? I would think the former?

I don't have a position on the above, but here is what BW says:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_15/b3878084_mz021.htm

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/